Shawn
Jennings
9/2/14
Professor
Young
English 1100
One page
response to “How to Tame a Wild Tongue”
Identity
One
of my dreams is to go to England and watch my favorite club team, Liverpool
F.C., play in a soccer match. I want to
feel the atmosphere of the stadium when the fans begin a chant or the roar when
Liverpool scores a goal. Soccer is a
huge part of who I am as a person just like language is so important to Gloria
Anzaldua’s lifestyle. In the passage
“How to Tame a Wild Tongue” by Gloria Anzaldua, she describes how language
defines who you are. She states language
could be part of your identity and identity describes you. A certain thing that defines who I am is
soccer. I am very passionate about
soccer. I love to play, watch, and do
anything that involves the sport.
I feel proud to love the sport just like
Anzaldua is proud of her language and I am always happy when playing or
watching soccer. Identity can even be
seen within the sport of soccer. For
example, people could like different teams that could define them. I love watching Liverpool so I wear their
jersey, which is red, to show my support of the club. Also, players can express their identity by
playing different positions on the field.
An example of this would be that defender would do anything to stop the
other team from scoring a goal, this shows their desire and heart to stop the
opposition from scoring. An example of
how a position defines me is that I play on the outside closest to the
sideline. I like to send in crosses to
my teammates so they can score. This
describes me because I am unselfish on and off the field. I tend to think about others before myself
and I am satisfied to help my teammates score goals.
There are even more ways to identify
a soccer player. The number they choose
on the back of their jerseys surprisingly says a lot about them. For example, the number nine is usually a
forward or goal-scorer, while the number seven is a midfielder on the outside
that crosses the ball into the middle for the forwards to score. On a personal note, the number which I chose
says a lot about me as a person. In high
school I chose the number ten which is normally someone who is a play
maker. A play maker is usually
unselfish, which is one of my own personal traits.
I
love the way the crowd cheers when there is a goal scored and I love being
there when it happens. Even when I am
watching a game at home I find myself jumping out of my seat to cheer. Just seeing a goal scored for the team I
support is so exciting to watch. Hearing
the crowd cheer through the television is enough to get me thrilled. Soccer is something that expresses who I
am. It is something that I love to
do. It is part of my identity. I will
never stop loving soccer.
There are many people that put down
soccer in the United States just like how people put down Gloria Anzaldua
because she spoke a different language.
Anzaldua was almost harassed for speaking her language. I feel the same way when others talk down
soccer. They say that it should not be
considered a sport or they say soccer players are soft. Many people don’t
appreciate the skill and physical fitness level required to play soccer. Most soccer players run an average of 6 miles
per game. Yet I am still proud to
support the sport and the players that play it.
I will never stop supporting the sport I love. I will always speak positively of soccer and
motivate people to play the sport.
News stations such as Sports Center don’t
recognize soccer as a major sport in the United States. They mention the four major sports, not
five. The major sports are the NFL, MLB,
NHL, and NBA. But Major League Soccer,
or MLS, is not included in this category.
This definitely frustrates me that the MLS is not considered a major
sport and many people will not even consider it to be a sport in general. The reason for this is because many citizens
in the U.S. believe that soccer is boring and not exciting to watch. These people do not give the sport a chance
and therefore just assume it is not worth watching. In my opinion, soccer is not boring at all
considering there is no stoppage in play for forty five minutes in two halves. The sport is definitely growing and I believe
that someday it will be considered as a major sport in the U.S. As of right now I will continue to support
soccer and hope that it becomes more and more popular throughout the years.
Even when people put me down because I play
soccer I will never stop striving to promote the sport. Soccer defines who I am as a person. I love to watch, play, and do anything to
help the sport grow. When I am on the
field I can express myself. I am
normally a reserved person, but when I am running with the ball at my feet I
feel more confident in myself. Like
Anzaldua I am proud of what defines who I am.
Soccer is what defines me; soccer is who I am, and it is part of my
identity.
No comments:
Post a Comment